Tuesday, May 20, 2008

just how deep...

So we need a deeper economy.... As I stumbled across my visualisation in class today (the one where I threw my hands around describing current growth as horizontally directed while future growth, according to McKibben, needs to be vertically driven), I couldn't help but visualise a cross. Not-so-logical but nonetheless tempting conclusion: are we crucifying ourselves? In the words of similarly poor crucified blokes, we cannot continue to "always look on the bright side of life" without eventually realizing that there we are, about to die of starvation on top of a hill of goods and services we've so enthusiastically fabricated and consumed over the years. I particularly enjoyed the reference to Thomas Friedman's flattened earth idea, in which we are flattened people flattened by flat ideals and aspirations. Kinda like a sharing the experience of a movie on a flat-screen t.v., vs. a good ol' 3D conversation with friends over a cup of tea?
Hmmm

3 comments:

Phineas Gage said...

Have you read Thomas Friedman's THE EARTH IS FLAT, Catherine?

As a thinker, Friedman makes me nuts. He is the master of "simple solutions."

And yes, your analogy of a cross and crucification is quite apt - do you remember how a crucified person actually dies?

Much truth to your analogy, if so.

Keep thinking,

W

Matthew Day said...

Deep, scary...I need to lurn to write better good like you

-matt

Unknown said...

No to Friedman, and yes to the question of crucifixion. You're referring to dehydration and exposure to elements, right? This is, of course, assuming the crucified has not been stabbed or tortured. However, it hadn't occurred to me to push the metaphor that far. Evidence of my mind not thinking laterally enough, like the rest of the world...